Author Topic: LOTR- a waste of time for Liv?  (Read 34819 times)

Offline Mai

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
LOTR- a waste of time for Liv?
« on: January 23, 2003, 11:55:52 PM »
Liv spent about 18 months of her life working on the set for the LOTR trilogy (with pauses between), but still she only got about 5 - 10 minutes in FOTR and less in TTT. What do you think about it?

~Mai~
\"Oh yes, the perfect servant knows it even before they know it themselves...\"

Offline kroko

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2003, 09:28:32 AM »
Well ... I guess you have a point.

Liv worked her ass off for more than a year, for a few minutes of screen time ?!?

I guess Liv didn't think she'll get so few minutes of screen time, and I'm sure the producer tell her she'll get plenty of screen time. I don't think Liv would agree to do it if she knew how much screen time she'll actualy get.

I don't know, I feel quite bad about it, and I guess Liv doesn't feel comfortable with that as well - I mean  - giving up on your career and stay away from your family, working insanely hard, for more than a year (not including reshoots) - and all that for cameo ?!? and I don't talking about all the trash she had to get from Tolkien-fanboys. As far as LOTR is amazing achivement ... still ...  maybe its was a bad move for her. I don't know. :(

I think PJ the producers screw up / lied to Liv. sue me. thats what I think.

Offline Arwen

• Global Moderator
  • Advanced Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2003, 10:40:07 AM »
If Liv really didnt want to do it,she wouldnt have. If she really hated it,she would have found a loophole in her contract and quit.
She would have known approximately how much screen time she would have before shooting began,as it would be in her contract and would determine how much she would be paid.
If,after shooting,she thought she'd made a big mistake and wasnt happy at all,she wouldnt have attended six premieres or done any of the press junkets or anything like that.
She evidently gets along brilliantly with the cast and production crew,judging from all the photos where shes hugging them,kissing them,or generally messing around with them with a huge grin on her face looking geniunely happy.
And i have to say,that the end result was superb,and would have been had she had 5 minutes or 50 minutes onscreen.
Just imagine how long the rest of the cast had to shoot for!
Thats my opinion.

Offline kroko

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2003, 11:44:39 AM »
If Liv really didnt want to do it,she wouldnt have. If she really hated it,she would have found a loophole in her contract and quit

she didn't know her screen time will be so low when she worked on that.

She would have known approximately how much screen time she would have before shooting began,as it would be in her contract and would determine how much she would be paid

I don't think screen-time is a contract thing, but she was sure led to understand she'll get a significant amount of time. Thats why I think PJ and producers lie to her - no change in the world she would agree to spend years  just for 5-10 min cameo. as to the payment - I'm sure she got all what in the contract, but thats not the issue.

If,after shooting,she thought she'd made a big mistake and wasnt happy at all,she wouldnt have attended six premieres or done any of the press junkets or anything like that.

This is in the contract I'm affraid ...

She evidently gets along brilliantly with the cast and production crew,judging from all the photos where shes hugging them,kissing them,or generally messing around with them with a huge grin on her face looking geniunely happy.

offcourse - what did you expect ? I also believe this is all a genuine. but this has nothing to you with her being happy with her role.

I still has the feeling that Liv wouldn't do that if she knew the final result, just IMHO!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2003, 11:46:32 AM by kroko »

Offline _OtAcOn_

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2003, 12:28:05 PM »
wow, of course it was worth it, or she wouldnt have accepted the part, shes only there for 5-10mins but those are a very active and interesting 5-10mins, and plus its one of the most mysterious and intriguing roles of tolkiens world, so why refuse? plus its her job, so why refuse?
BEAUTY UPON OUR TIRED EARTH, ARWEN, THE DAUGHTER OF ELVES AND MY ONLY MISTRESS

www.lovelylivtyler.com

Offline Arwen

• Global Moderator
  • Advanced Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2003, 06:57:47 PM »
Hi Kroko,nice avatar,did you draw it? wow you sure went a long way to prove me wrong hehe,I spose I agree with what you say,but I still stick by my points,especially the press junket one-im afraid that I simply refuse to believe that every single appearance that liv has made in connection with LOTR was written into her contract.

Offline erik

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2003, 06:58:12 PM »
I don't think the amount of screen time Liv gets matters!  I mean, I bet her fan base has tripled just with these few minutes in each LOTR film.  

So was it a waste of time for her to take the year filming for these few minutes? hell no.  Especially due to the fact that she has made many lifelong friendships with the cast and had a wonderful time working on the movies.

And what would she have done if she didn't sign on for the Rings? A movie where she is the lead? Like McCool's which maybe only got her a teenie tiny bit of new fans.

LOTR = Good choice in any actors career, No Matter What!!!
You can't see yourself in the mirror with your eyes closed.

Offline kroko

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2003, 09:36:27 PM »
I agree LOTR did a good publicity to Liv, even if her screen time is low, but thats not my point.

My point is that she worked like crazy for years - and I'm sure she got quite dissapointed by the amount of screen time she got at end.

If she would knew before-head, what would be her final screen time, I'm quite sure she wouldn't take the role.

You can never know what other roles Liv missed because of LOTR, and I don't sure 5-10 min on LOTR movies will advanced her career.

I feel she quite wasted in this role. I think such hard work, for such period of time, for actress in her status, should result in much more screen time (even if its LOTR). Maybe she feels cheated by PJ and co. - As her fan, I feel cheated.

Don't get me wrong - LOTR is fantastic trilogy, and I enjoy it. but also felt quite disspointed by Liv's amount of screen time. I'm a Liv fan, no LOTR fan, and I wouldn't see those movies if no Liv involved.

"Arwen" (board Arwen I mean  :lol: ) - I didn't draw my avatar - it was one of the options here ...
as to all the press juncket - I agree Liv could avoid them if she really wanted to ... but maybe she do them because she proud to be part of those films, even if she quite dissapoint by her screentime.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2003, 09:41:15 PM by kroko »

Offline ychinarro

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2003, 12:20:44 AM »
Yes, LOTR would give more fans to Liv and in the future as LOTR becomes a masterpiece she would be able to say : I was there. But in my opinion in don't believe LOTR was a big step ahead in her career. I mean, in such small time on screen she was not able to choose how great actress she is althought she did it really great.

I hope in the future she get roles in which she is the main character and do some independent movies that can give big prestige to her.
"What, you askin' me if I'm happy? Listen, I've got eighty seven million pounds in the bank. I've got a Rolls Royce. I've got three stalkers. I'm about to go on the board at Manchester City. I'm part of the greatest band in the world. Am I happy with that? No I'm not! I want more!"   -- Noel Gallagher --

Offline Arwen4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2003, 01:42:50 AM »
Liv spent about 18 months of her life working on the set for the LOTR trilogy (with pauses between), but still she only got about 5 - 10 minutes in FOTR and less in TTT. What do you think about it?

~Mai~
it was not a waste o time for liv becuse so i will not have sen her  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Offline hero_ine

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2003, 09:57:28 AM »
I think Liv really wanted to be part of the cast of LOTR. cuz she has her own opinion, and wouldn't do what she didn't want to do. And You know I think Liv knew how big her role would be,etc.,cuz these hollywood assholes are very certain about that, they don't want problems later

Offline erik

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2003, 10:35:46 AM »
If she would knew before-head, what would be her final screen time, I'm quite sure she wouldn't take the role.

Bah! Liv's role was expanded A LOT! by Perter Jackson.  If they adapted directly from the book, she would have been in it for only like a minute.

And again, I think LOTR is good for any actor NO MATTER WHAT!  
It is like someone saying they regretted doing StarWars back in the seventies.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2003, 10:36:21 AM by erik »
You can't see yourself in the mirror with your eyes closed.

Offline cmr

• Administrator
  • Advanced Members
    • ICQ Messenger - 133457838
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lovelylivtyler.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2003, 11:06:27 AM »
I've got to say I quite agree Liv was misleading by PJ and crew.

not talking about Arwen in the books - I'm quite sure PJ and co. promise her significant amount of time.
do you really think she was filming for year and a half, plus reshoots, in order to be just  5-10 min in the movies ?

Arwen character in the films was planned to be expanded from the start. but this concept was changed during filming, mainly because they felt that Arwen got further and further than what she's in the book (read Liv's interview from LOTR fanclub magazine). that feeling was both Liv's and crew. also Tolkien-nerds pressure had its effect. the result is much less expanded Arwen, and a lot of work that Liv has done, was cut. buttom line, most of the work that Liv was working so hard on, was for nothing.
Also - has much as I can tell, even much of the stuff of the "less expanded Arwen" - was cut (just look in TTT trailer to figure it out)

That said, quite frustrating to any actor I guess, and also to me as a fan of Liv.

By looking on all of it afterwards, Liv was planning for some major role, with major screentime, and ended up with minor role, almost cameo (at least in terms of screentime). hence the misleading. I agree that she wouldn't take the role if she knew from start.

that issue aside, I think LOTR give a lot of publicity to Liv, and a lot of new fans. I don't sure if it advance her career, but its a project she can be proud of, no doubt.

I'm 1000% sure she isn't sorry about her LOTR experience.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2003, 11:27:57 AM by cmr »

Offline Opeth

• Advanced Members
    • ICQ Messenger - 217377399
    • MSN Messenger - opeth1982@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/twilight_is_my_robe
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2003, 02:49:32 PM »
i thought that Liv was in TTT more than in FOTR and instead....
in any case i would accept to be in these movies also only for five seconds because these is an authentic masterpiece and take part to similar movies is always a great experience(i think).
but this don't remove that i hope that Liv will play soon the main character in a movie, because she deserve it.

Offline Mai

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2003, 06:48:18 PM »
Liv spent a long time learning to fight, and then they decided they wouldn't have a fighting Arwen... I think that was kind of unfair to her. Of course I'm sure she had an interesting time there enjoying NZ, making many new friends, and being a part of a movie that will be remembered for a very long time and so on, but I do think it was a waste of time since she could have played in other movies instead.

~Mai~
\"Oh yes, the perfect servant knows it even before they know it themselves...\"