Author Topic: Viggo Mortensen...  (Read 107482 times)

Offline arwen-undomiel

• Advanced Members
    • View Profile
Re: Viggo Mortensen...
« Reply #675 on: September 17, 2009, 08:58:39 AM »
cmr I am really surprised.. Are you sure he said it without any context? I mean it is just written so maybe someone changed the words or added some context. I don't know I am surprised because to me, Viggo has always been a very wise and reasonable man. I mean, I don't know..I cna understand your point of view, I would and often am angry too, when people offend my country and that happens a lot with celebs but I don't think his intention was to humiliate or offend. I agree with you that people who know nothing about war should  not share their wisdom but, if anything ,their opinions which are based only on their views not backed up with experiences.
I am sorry he upset you, I am really surprised with what he's said.

Offline RPL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: September 17, 2009, 09:44:58 AM »
I've heard of this statement. It's pathetic. Only people, who don't know what they're talking about, would sign on it. The fact that Viggo signed it shows his lack of intelligence, at least in that kind of issue.

Those people didn't experienced anything close to it, that's why it's so hard for them to understand these rational actions, that BTW, any country would do in the sort of situations Israel is being at (for years).

It looks as thought they're refuse to recognize the "hard truth" they deny for years.

This is nothing more than another cheap provocation.

Offline Shlomi

• Administrator
  • Advanced Members
    • View Profile
    • Lovely Liv Tyler Website
« Reply #677 on: September 17, 2009, 09:51:23 PM »
To put things into perspective, he did not initiate nor lead that protest - he signed it, along with a thousand others. That he can certainly allow himself to do. As far as his blog goes, I think the point of it was apologetic: claiming that the protest doesn't promote boycotting.

For the record;
[...]
The statement does not promote the boycotting or censorship of any artist or movie from Israel or anywhere else. Those who have attacked the statement with that accusation are simply spreading misinformation and, unfortunately, continuing the ongoing successful distraction from the issue at hand: the Israeli government's whitewashing of their illegal and inhumane actions inside and outside their legal national borders. There was nobody outside the cinema objecting to anyone going to see "Ajami".

I didn't read the original statement carefully, but it was protesting against the Toronto Film Festival, for having a spotlight on movies about Tel Aviv, claiming it was a political decision. Don't take it like I buy any of the crap implicated in the statement, but take things in perspective.

Offline cmr

• Administrator
  • Advanced Members
    • ICQ Messenger - 133457838
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lovelylivtyler.com
    • Email
« Reply #678 on: September 18, 2009, 04:44:19 PM »
I really don't care for Toronto Film Festival or Tel Aviv for that matter ... that's not the point.

The point is famous people who diss us because of ignorance and/or hatred and/or fashion. Maybe they think they will give them more respect in newspapers? maybe better reviews to their movies  <_<
Ultra liberal=diss Israel=respect by the media … maybe that’s the formula?

Offline Arwen

• Global Moderator
  • Advanced Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: September 18, 2009, 07:18:52 PM »
It must be unpleasant, to feel that your country has been personally attacked by someone in the public eye. So in your place cmr, I'd probably be pissed off too. But Viggo is hardly a paparazzi whore, is he? If he'd wanted to, he could've capitalised on his LOTR fame to a ridiculous extent (like Orlando Bloom, for example...), made millions of dollars and not cared who he trampled on on his way up. But he isn't like that. It's not like Paris Hilton has started sounding off about Israel. Viggo is an extremely intelligent, educated and cultured man. He's lived all over the world, speaks many languages, does a lot of work for charity (without shouting about it to the media), has raised a child, he's an artistic soul and a highly aware person. I genuinely doubt he would speak publicly about anything political unless he'd looked carefully at the facts and come to his own informed conclusion. Evidently, you and he disagree on this particular issue- but to call someone a total idiot (amongst other things...) and decide that they must've only opened their mouth for superficial self-serving reasons, just because they have a different opinion to you, isn't wise. At the very least, Viggo clearly cares deeply about this issue, just as you do, even if you are on different sides of the fence. And I feel I ought to point out- that Viggo is a colleague and friend of Liv's. You never usually let anyone say bad things about Liv, her friends or family (and rightly so) on here, partly because those comments could offend or upset Liv if she were ever to read them. How do you think she would feel if she came on here and saw the way you were talking about her friend now, a man she clearly respects and cares for?

Offline cmr

• Administrator
  • Advanced Members
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #680 on: September 18, 2009, 09:10:31 PM »
Nothing to do with Liv. If she's friend with him, that's not my business. Sure I hope, and think, she isn’t.

This "extremely intelligent, educated and cultured" person - so he probably knows better than all the people who live here for the last 60 years, and their fathers have been here for more than 3000 years. Yeh - he's so cultural and smart so he must understand the situation better than me, or my father, or grandfather or anyone. And he’s doing it right from his London/NY/Copenhagen villa – so talented!

We all know he got his famous status because he’s educated and cultured, and has an artistic soul – nothing to do with his acting, right?

Saying this is "an opinion" or "different sides of the fence", sorry to say that, that's a stupid thing to say.
The man is basically saying that I have no right to defend myself, hence to exist.
What will you say if I will say that Britain is occupied Islamic territory, and English people should be vanished? - That's an opinion, no? I also very educated and cultured person. so I must be right.

If Viggo so care about the world’s problems, there are many - Darfur, Iran, or dealing with some criminal actions done by his own country during world war 2? Try looking in the mirror before you talk on others.

One last thing. I will never understand or accept someone who disses my country like that. I respect my country, and people like Viggo are my enemies.
As I said, he’s doing it from one of the reasons: ignorance, hatred or fashion. I suspected a bit from each.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 09:56:47 PM by cmr »

Offline arwen-undomiel

• Advanced Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: September 18, 2009, 09:55:51 PM »
cmr I can understand you and I think you are right to some extent but  you take it too much to yourself.  Viggo stated his opinion, and you have right not to like it or to be upset but I don't think that it is a good reason to offend anyone.
It doesn't mean he knows better. But there are always people who discuss problems not only concerning war, and many of these people never took part/experienced what they talked about.  Maybe if you had a chance to talk to Viggo his statement wouldn't be so harsh or absolute

Offline Arwen

• Global Moderator
  • Advanced Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: September 18, 2009, 10:50:04 PM »
Nothing to do with Liv. If she's friend with him, that's not my business. Sure I hope, and think, she isn’t.

This "extremely intelligent, educated and cultured" person - so he probably knows better than all the people who live here for the last 60 years, and their fathers have been here for more than 3000 years. Yeh - he's so cultural and smart so he must understand the situation better than me, or my father, or grandfather or anyone. And he’s doing it right from his London/NY/Copenhagen villa – so talented!

We all know he got his famous status because he’s educated and cultured, and has an artistic soul – nothing to do with his acting, right?

Saying this is "an opinion" or "different sides of the fence", sorry to say that, that's a stupid thing to say.
The man is basically saying that I have no right to defend myself, hence to exist.
What will you say if I will say that Britain is occupied Islamic territory, and English people should be vanished? - That's an opinion, no? I also very educated and cultured person. so I must be right.

If Viggo so care about the world’s problems, there are many - Darfur, Iran, or dealing with some criminal actions done by his own country during world war 2? Try looking in the mirror before you talk on others.

One last thing. I will never understand or accept someone who disses my country like that. I respect my country, and people like Viggo are my enemies.
As I said, he’s doing it from one of the reasons: ignorance, hatred or fashion. I suspected a bit from each.

Your statements seem to be filled with a lot more hatred than Viggo's. There is hatred dripping from every post you've made in this topic recently. So to criticise someone for speaking out of hatred seems hypocritical. And there is really no need to jump down my throat and start hurling accusations at me- you're flogging a dead horse there, because I openly and readily admit that I know barely anything about the situation in Israel, and that I have no personal political affiliations either way. So no, I am not suggesting that Viggo knows anything better than you or your ancestors do, nor am I saying that your opinion is wrong or that his is right. I don't have a bloody clue.
What I am saying, is that yes, I do believe that Viggo is intelligent and culturally aware, very much more so infact, than most people are, especially celebrities. And I personally don't believe that he would act out of hatred, ignorance or fashion. Again, that does not mean that I am assuming he was right to say the things he did. Only that I believe he thought it was right to say them. If you find that stupid, then that's fine, I can't change your mind about my opinions, and nor would I want to. But I'm not going to change mine either. I don't really see how Viggo's fame, or how he got it, is relevant to this issue. Just because he is famous does not mean that he is stupid or morally impeded. His acting is also irrelevant because I see his acting and his political views as two separate things.

Offline cmr

• Administrator
  • Advanced Members
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #683 on: September 18, 2009, 11:18:26 PM »
That's exactly the point -
He is able to voice his political "views" only because he's famous, and he's famous only because he's an actor. I wish all celebs will talk only about their work (the reason for their fame) and don't preach the world about other things they have no clue about -> You have a political view? that's fine. Keep it to yourself.

Why he wrote what he wrote? I'm not saying I know the reason exactly. Maybe its fashion ... I just checked at imdb and valla - "The Road", his new film, coming soon. a little controversy always good for business.

But after thinking about it, I think it’s not that. It’s something else. The man is full of himself. He feels the need to be always right and tell anyone how right he is. He sees himself as so progressed and smart, to the point of preaching. Something like Madonna. never mind ... its issues for psychologist I guess.

About my own hatred, yes- I admit, I hate this guy. deeply. I hate anyone who diss my country.

Offline Arwen

• Global Moderator
  • Advanced Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: September 18, 2009, 11:55:13 PM »
Well, I don't agree, but I think we can leave it at that, no?

Offline stormgull

• Stars
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: September 18, 2009, 11:59:45 PM »
@cmr

sorry, but for many people there is something called freedom of speech and freedom of mind which includes freedom of opinion, also and especially about poilitical issues. To tell everyone to shut up about their poilitical views is a pretty offending thing in general, and I'm quite happy many of us live in times and places where you have the right to tell your political views freely. Do we all agree about everything? No! It will never be like that, it has never been like that, that's the way life goes.
But to offend someone just because he's not in the same opinion as you is simply poor and  - for me! - shows an obvious lack of maturity, and - to some extend - a lack of intelligence, if many poeple tell you that is is alright that you have your views but you simply have to be able to deal with the fact that other people have different views also if you don't like them.

Do I know what I'm talking about? Yes! I'm from Germany you know. I've been born here, was raised here and still I'm just a cultural mixture of german, french, russian and jewish ancestors. Does anyone care, who calls me a Nazi just because I speak the language of this country and live here? Does any foreigner who thinks every German is like Hitler care about that things are different, that I AM different? No! So what do I do? Go there and insult or simply hate them? That would just make them think they had been right about me from the start. It would just build up more hatred and fences! What I do is to SHOW people personally that things are different, that I AM different. Do I reach them all? No, I never will and that's ok that's the way it is and I just have to live with the fact that there a a lot of people out there thinking every German still is a hidden Nazi. But that's how life is. I try my best to show it is not true for me and everyone open-minded will see and understand. So could you just stop insulting someone ( Viggo) you don't even know or have met  personally just because he is in a different opinion than yours?  What's about that black and white thinking - just divide them into groups who you love ( a strong word) or hate ( a strong word too) Why not listen? Why not talk? why not see where there are simply missunderstadings before you shout out words like hate before you even met someone? How poor is that? Just grow up and deal with it and if you get the chance then SHOW people directly and personally if things are different and in your special case that the world is wrong with the prejudice that people from your area are just stubborn,  narrow-minded, war-addicted people full of hatred because in that case that is the prejudice many people have about your country!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 12:20:09 AM by stormgull »

Offline Shlomi

• Administrator
  • Advanced Members
    • View Profile
    • Lovely Liv Tyler Website
« Reply #686 on: September 19, 2009, 12:32:56 AM »
Please, let's stop discussing politics here. The rules ask to avoid political discussions that lead to a bad atmosphere.

The topic of this thread is Viggo Mortensen.

Offline Buttercup

• Global Moderator
  • Advanced Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 19, 2009, 01:21:13 AM »
Edit //

Just read Shlomi's post and I'm going to respect that and I don't feel there's any idea to join the debate anyway. The hatred is terrifying. I do also agree with the first paragraph of what Stormgull wrote.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 01:25:51 AM by Buttercup »
Having troubles telling how I feel
But I can dance, dance, dance.

Offline cmr

• Administrator
  • Advanced Members
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #688 on: September 19, 2009, 06:58:18 AM »
I said, and I'll say it again. What Mr. Viggo said is no "opinion", but a personal attack on me. I would never accept it as "freedom of speech" - there is a limit for everything. You just can’t do anything in the name of "freedom of speech".

About freedom of speech for celebs: there is a different between you or me talking about our political views and celeb who do the same. Nobody will give a damn about what cmr has said. But when celebrity does that - it appears all around the press. With tens of thousands people reading it. I think when someone is famous he should have some integrity. Just can't talk about everything in the media.
So imho, YES - celebs should shut up and not talk about subjects not related to their job.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 07:31:56 AM by cmr »

Offline JVfan

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #689 on: September 19, 2009, 07:08:52 PM »
Sorry to say it, but Mr. Viggo is an ignorant jackass   :angry:

There is nothing I hate more then a celebrity who thinks, from the height of his cushioned chair, that he knows better than anyone, and allowing himself to preach everyone what they need to do or not to do.

When I saw this, I felt some major disgust. Who the f*** Mr. Viggo thinks he is, when he calls me and my country "whitewash illegal and inhumane actions"?
The man really thinks he’s smarter than anyone, take advantage of his celebrity status and feed the media with some “wisdom”, thinking he's at least some major general, or a big statesman. Did he ever experience war for one second of his life?

What I can say is this - we live in a tough neighborhood, and we need to fight in order to exist. No one could tell us if and how to defend ourselves. and if defending ourselves from terror is "whitewash illegal and inhumane actions" according to Mr. Viggo - then I wish him to get a rocket right into his head, maybe then he'll understand, or not.

For me, Mr. Viggo is deleted. If  Liv will make another film with this so full-of-himself JA, I’ll be pissed.

Sorry  -_-

You aren't the government of your country. You are a citizen so the things your government does are not your fault. Same with the USA. It is not our fault the things that Bush did.
It is horrible what is happening in your country. All over the Middle East.
Innocent citizens have to suffer.
I so much want to visit where Jesus walked