Author Topic: English trouble  (Read 49391 times)

Offline undomiel

• Advanced Members
    • View Profile
English trouble
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2004, 01:42:00 PM »
[size=8]You'd say "You too".
Is that what you're asking? :) [/size]

Offline Tariana

• Advanced Members
    • ICQ Messenger - 191273260
    • AOL Instant Messenger - JadenFaerie
    • View Profile
    • Email
English trouble
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2004, 01:52:39 PM »
also for future reference.

want - You want a new pair of shoes
won't - I won't go swimming in Alaska

then - I went to the store, then I met with my friends.
than - Liv is prettier than Cameron Diaz.

too = also
for example: I like you too, OR, I like you also

My Video Blog

#53 Bump (Milo) Fan- Tariana
<a href="http://nimbo.net/quiz/houses.html" target="0">i'm in gryffindor!" border="0[/url] [url=http

Offline Levenia

• Advanced Members
    • View Profile
    • Email
English trouble
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2004, 02:07:11 PM »
Too also means like excessive, such as, "too cold"

too
I. In addition; also: He's coming along too.
2. More than enough; excessively: She worries too much.
3. To a regrettable degree: My error was all too apparent.
4. Very; extremely; immensely: He's only too willing to be of service.
5. Informal. Indeed; so: You will too do it!

You will too do it! hehehe amused me..

Offline Elve girl

• Advanced Members
    • View Profile
    • http://lu-si.deviantart.com
English trouble
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2004, 03:39:08 PM »
Wow, guys thanks a lot :) I know I'm not the best in english, but by the way I really like that language and of course I like you, very, very much! :P :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 03:40:26 PM by Elve girl »
[size=8]"The smile on your face lets me know that you need me..."[/size][/font]

Bitefight :D
My and American Kate's forum about Orli ;) - Orlando Forever
Forum about Liv and Keira - Lovely Liv and Keira

Miss Beauty

English trouble
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2004, 07:09:16 PM »
Dont' worry Elve Girl! I have troubles with english too. If there is any words a don't know on english, then I use a dictionary :D  

Offline Elve girl

• Advanced Members
    • View Profile
English trouble
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2004, 07:10:53 PM »
Me too, but you know I've got troubles with phrases in english  :blush:  :wacko:  By the way thx. :)

Offline Dione

• Advanced Members
    • MSN Messenger - dione_angel@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
English trouble
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2004, 04:11:31 PM »
I've also got a problem! Could you help me??? :blush:

Which one is correct: go on  holidays or go for  holidays?
And why?
Do you put comma before 'but'?

Another thing - does anyone of you know someone who is attending Oxbridge at the moment or attended it (not like 50 years ago, you know)? If so, could you ask that person if they wanted to be me penpal ? :P  Yeah, I know, not correct (that 'me'), but it's just a digression.
That was the first thing I said to the dialogue coach. I didn't care if I sounded as if I came from Poland or wherever, but I did NOT want to come off sounding like THE COUNT from Sesame Street! ~ Richard Roxburgh

Offline Elve girl

• Advanced Members
    • View Profile
English trouble
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2006, 12:50:03 PM »
Hey guys, I have a problem, If I wanna say that I'll leave somewhere and it's for egz. small town I should say I'll leave for or I'll leave to??

Offline Beatrice

• Advanced Members
    • View Profile
    • Email
English trouble
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2006, 05:55:40 PM »
English is not my first language, but as far as I know it's: I'll leave to... :)

Offline Elve girl

• Advanced Members
    • View Profile
English trouble
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2006, 08:38:10 PM »
Thanks Beatrice :)

Offline Beatrice

• Advanced Members
    • View Profile
    • Email
English trouble
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2006, 09:00:09 PM »
you're welcome :)

Offline Arwen

• Global Moderator
  • Advanced Members
    • View Profile
English trouble
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2006, 02:56:12 AM »
hmmm, you should really say 'I'm going to', but 'I'll leave for' is also appropriate, if I understand you correctly. For example:

'I'm going to Berlin on Saturday morning.'

'I'll leave for Berlin on Saturday morning.'

both are correct. :) but 'I'll leave for...' means more like 'I will leave my house on' or 'I'll get the train/plane/bus on', you get me? It's talking more about your actual journey to Berlin, rather than the fact that you're going there.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 02:58:01 AM by Arwen »

Offline Lyrewyn

• Advanced Members
    • View Profile
    • Email
English trouble
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2006, 04:35:38 AM »
Aye, I guess this especially works for longer journeys, or journeys where the goal is a bit vague. We'll leave for the West.

Isn't English beautiful? :D

Offline mateo

• Advanced Members
    • MSN Messenger - mateo_prochazka@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
English trouble
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2006, 04:03:02 PM »
i can help if u too... although i don't have a great english and sometimes i will need some help....
 omg... Its been a while... :blink: and hahaha that sucked. Ive gotten better I guess, although I keep on messing with phrasals and prepositions  :P and some past participles  :rolleyes:

^lol not better than Spanish you know  :P  

Offline Elve girl

• Advanced Members
    • View Profile
English trouble
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2006, 08:14:52 PM »
Thx, very very much :)

Another question:

What's the difference beetwen "thankyou" and "thanke you"? are both correct?  :blink: